Jesus In My Actual Life
by Pastor Roy Esposito
2 Chronicles 20:20 – “The battle is not mine but His!”
2 Chronicles 20:17 – “Position yourselves!”
Matthew 7:21-23 – It’s possible to move in the blessing and anointing of God and really not know Him.
Lawlessness – Self-deception
“Religion allows for self-deception as it substitutes itself for a true relationship with God.” – PR
Stages of Christian Maturity – Bob Jones
- Justified by Faith – get “saved/born again” – just as a baby is born
- Sanctified – Learn how to be a Christian – like “potty training”
- Signs and Wonders Stage – Begin to become profitable to the Kingdom. – “Hit and Miss”
- Maturity/Discipleship – Died to self enough that Kingdom authority can be released and the Lord is seen in you.
Disciple – One who has decided to be with another, under appropriate conditions, in order to become capable of doing what that person does or to become what that person is. An apprentice.
Becoming a Disciple of Jesus – is not a matter of learning to do everything He did but learning to do everything I do in the same manner in which He did all that He did.
It’s learning to live my WHOLE life, my ACTUAL life, as He would live it – if He were I.
“Discipleship to Christ is not a matter of WHAT I do but HOW I do whatever I do, considering the parameters of my abilities.” – PR
On the Job Discipleship
- Don’t be the “moral police” – no nagging
- Be gentle but firm in non-cooperation with things everyone considers wrong.
- Work to develop an inward attitude of prayer for the activities of the job.
- Develop a genuine love for the people you interact with.
- Employ specific points of Jesus’ teachings as circumstances dictate (i.e. – non-retaliation; no gossiping).
- Be watchful and prepared to meet any obvious spiritual need with words of comfort, encouragement, and acts of kindness.
Questions to consider this week:
- Why am I a Christian?
- Where am I headed going forward?
- What’s my intention?
- What actual decision did I make to follow Jesus?
- Did I even make one?